Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Reflection on an Earlier Poem

Over a year ago I wrote a poem entitled Solitary Sleep, I just stumbled upon it and it got me thinking...

"She sits alone

in dark and cold

tired, sad, broken.

The sickness that

consumes her, leaves

her with nothing.



Nothing would be better

than to simply live again.

Her mind is filled with nothingness

as she sleeps for hours on end.

She tries to wake her foggy mind:

no, her eyelids are too heavy

and so, all friends abandoned her...

said, "Come back when you're ready".



Slowly, slowly her eyes fall open

but pounding pain disturbs her brain...

a teardrop rolls slowly down her cheek

followed by many more, and sobs that have her weak.

The solitude of her painful existence

leaves her wishing to again feel nothing...

so off she drifts; alone again...

no longer remembered by even one man

to lonely, empty, sleep."

(*this poem is not meant to be analyzed...it's meant to stir emotion)  ...Ok, I made that rule and now I am going to break it...I accidentally analyzed it comparing myself to the subject of the poem. Perhaps it is because I have been sick lately, I have felt like doing nothing but sleep and this is how the subject in the poem feels as well. That dark, numb, tired feeling is one I know all too well these days yet I am so unlike to character in the poem. Instead of having my friends abandon me they rallied close and have been nothing but kind and caring, even letting me nap in their beds when I am falling asleep :) I can only thank God for the wonderful people He has put in my life, and trust Him to know what is best for me. I guess the difference between myself and the girl in the poem is the friends we have...hers left, mine stayed close ...and one verse comes to mind

"One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother
."
Proverbs 18:24

No comments:

Post a Comment